Wednesday 27 October 2010

A gentleman's duel and Eve Uni's revenge

This was something I actually wanted to add in on my last update but I thought it had gotten long enough already so I shoved it over. It does deserve to be told though so I am going to start with it here.

Dame Death is a friend of mine in EVE and we’ve both been hanging around in the same public channel for quite a while now. We both like good fights and we both tend to run in expensive ships and try our luck. So in the end it was really inevitable, we needed to arrange a duel. The date was chosen Thursday evening 21st of October. His Sleipnir against my Legion, which I had actually bought of Dame. But before the duel we had already spent several times discussing potential fits on both ships so we knew the general layout of what the other would fit and had agreed not to change it with this knowledge in mind. So beforehand I was bound to my plated Legion fit without a lot of neuts against his XL-shield boosted Sleipnir, not ideal for me. But I had wanted to find out how this would stack up against a Sleipnir for a while now so we were on.

Finally the day was there and I was late, ugh. I got tangled up in rl stuff so I still had to buy and move a large chunk of my fittings and I could feel dame was growing impatient with the waiting. When I finally got my act together and fitted the ship we were ready to go. We warped to the same safe spot and dropped fleet so neither would get bonuses, after a countdown we started. Dame started kiting me at range, my scorch lasers hitting him but his XL-booster keeping him up nicely. I tried some maneuvers to get him within my 18k overloaded web range but to no avail, all the while he was chipping away at my rather massive 200k EHP buffer. Then I noticed something I hated, he had popped out light ECM drones. Now don’t get me wrong, it was fair. We hadn’t agreed not to use this ECM, I just have a general hate for it. Of course I made this know loudly on comms and he was even nice enough to not use them all the time after that.

After about 5 minutes of maneuvering around I finally managed to get Dame within my overloaded web range. If this was due to my maneuvering or him just wanting to go close to finish me off is debatable, but in any case the worst happened at that time. The ECM drones got a jam off! When the timer finally ran down I rushed to put my web and neut back on him and chump away. But my armor was now vanishing a lot faster since he had gone close with Phased Plasma, punching me right in the thermal hole. However my neut was also doing its stuff and I even managed to cut his Invulnerability Field at one point. This was going to be close, I would only need about 2-3 volleys to finish him off once his shields went but I was almost out of armor now. I overloaded everything I had and I saw a sliver of armor damage appear before my legion gave way to his overpowering amount of dps. There I was in my pod looking at the wreck of what had been a rather expensive legion, but damn that had been fun. Good fight from Dame and it had been close.

We already agreed that this needs a rematch!

Fast forward from that to yesterday. I was hanging around in our home system having just had a ladder match against Fey. Was fun, we dueled in noobships and I won, so good stuff. But anyways we just had our match and had docked back up when suddenly in comes an Eve Uni gang cramming in. They were spotted on station so I did the only sane thing I could do and undocked my Bhaalgorn. A Thorax aggressed so I went for it. The Thorax blew up in only 3 volleys and I started going after the Canes, which they had 3 off. I got 2 down before even reaching half armor when the Uni gang decided that apparently this had been a bad idea and ran. End result looked like this. There were about 10 of them in total, with 3 canes 2 cruisers and about 5 frigates, but this is all I caught. Fey is on there because she undocked a frigate and tried to swat some drones, but alas the station guns found her very quickly. Lex shows on the battle report because one of the canes I killed hung around 100km of the station in a pod, he was easily probed out and dispatched by us both. All in all good fun.

Later the cry came out as apparently we had mauled a small Eve Uni gang (again they had more but we took no losses so the kb doesn’t show it) this weekend as well and apparently this was a revenge action of some sort. If true I want more people like that to come looking for revenge! In any case fun fights and remember: This can only end well!

3 comments:

  1. Loving the comments on the E uni board :D

    http://killboard.eveuniversity.org/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=7908801

    http://killboard.eveuniversity.org/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=7908793

    And from the skirmish I took part in:

    http://killboard.eveuniversity.org/?a=kill_detail&kll_id=7889428

    "Small gang roam, found a flashy cyclone, he brought friends...it was pretty even til the bb showed" LOL@E-uni both accusing us of blobbing and using too much ecm :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the second km saying i was in structure. Even after looting all the wrecks and all the while taking station aggro i was still easily in 40% armor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh. I love E-uni!
    Good chicken!

    ReplyDelete